Disgraced former Governor Eliot Spitzer and wife Silda announced they are DIVORCED
- Lis Smith, 31, started dating Spitzer, 54, after she worked on his failed New York Comptroller bid this fall
- Spitzer is still married to Silda who stood by him as he admitted he used high-class prostitutes
- Miss Smith worked for De Blasio's general election campaign and is a frontrunner to be the mayor's spokeswoman
By Sara Nathan
PUBLISHED: 19:54 EST, 24 December 2013 | UPDATED: 20:12 EST, 24 December 2013
Eliot Spitzer and his wife Silda, who stood by him as he admitted to spending thousands on high-class prostitutes, are calling it quits after 26 years of marriage.
Rumors have long circulated that the Spitzers were no longer a happy couple, but they waited until Tuesday - Christmas Eve - to formally announce that they weren't ending their marriage.
The couple sent out a statement after Spitzer, 54, was pictured slipping into the home of 31-year-old Lis Smith, a press secretary who worked on his failed bid for New York City Comptroller.
The former governor, who resigned in 2008 after he was fingered as 'Client-9' in a federal bust of a high-class escort ring, was seen twice last week arriving at Smith's Soho apartment, taking her to a candle-lit dinner, then disappearing back upstairs.
Silda Spitzer, who is still married to Eliot, stood by her husband's side as he admitted to using high-class prostitutes and resigned in 2008
Eliot Spitzer, left, has been seen at the apartment of Lis Smith late at night then leaving before dawn last week. She worked as Spitzer's campaign spokeswoman during his failed bid for New York City Comptroller
'We regret that our marital relationship has come to an end and we have agreed not to make any other public statement on this subject,' Spitzer family spokeswoman Lisa Linden said in a terse statement released Tuesday night.
It is unclear whether the couple is already divorced or whether they are planning to divorce. Ms Linden would not elaborate on the statement.
Multiple reports indicate that Eliot and Silda have been living apart for some time. Mrs Spitzer was also noticeably absent from the campaign trail this past year.
has repeatedly refused to comment on his personal life and says he is
only staying at his parents' apartment because they are in poor health.
Spitzer and his wife Silda stayed married for five and a half years after the scandal that cratered his meteoric political career.
The New York Post snapped pictures of Spitzer arriving around 10pm two nights in a row last week, then leaving before dawn.
The disgraced politician was seen dashing from the building shortly before 6am before hopping in a cab a few streets away.
On one occasion, the pair walked together from the apartment to a nearby restaurant, the cozy French bistro Le Pescadeux.
The manager of the restaurant told the Post that the couple were regulars, adding: 'The first time I saw Spitzer, I didn’t know if he was Eliot Spitzer or Anthony Weiner. Those two are like the same exact guy.'
After the romantic meal, the couple were seen entering Miss Smith's apartment building together.
Spitzer and his alleged girlfriend Lis Smith were seen slipping into the romantic French bistro Le Pescadeux last week for a late-night dinner before heading back to her nearby apartment
Miss Smith joined De Blasio after Spitzer lost in the September primary. She has also served as the spokeswoman for the Mayor-elect during his transition.
The Daily News reports that Miss Smith is a frontrunner to become De Blasio's press secretary after he is formally sworn in.
In 2012, she led the 'rapid response team' on President Obama's reelection campaign.
A former colleague of Miss Smith's told MailOnline: 'Lis is one of the best political operatives in the country and her private dating life is not going to change any of that. Her accomplishments stand on their own.'
Miss Smith refused to directly comment about whether or not she is in a relationship with
the disgraced former Governor.
Spitzer has been named as a possible
presidential candidate before a federal investigation revealed him as
'Client 9' of Emporer's Club VIP, which ran $1,000-an-hour call girls.
Ms Smith is thought to be a frontrunner for the job of press secretary once Bill De Blasio takes over as New York Mayor
Smith, left, worked on Spitzer's campaign and then jumped over to work for Bill De Blasio after Spitzer lost in the primary. Silda Spitzer, right, was not seen on the campaign trail for her husband
Lis Smith, pictured on Sunday at a media event as part of Bill De Blasio's Transition Team, has been having late-night meet-ups with Eliot Spitzer
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Mother spent years trying to get her son institutionalized before he stabbed her to death with a poker
Bobby Rankin's father says Connecticut's mental health system failed his schizophrenic sonThe lack of proper care allowed him to fall through the cracks until he ...
- Joy McCall, 35, 'had sex with schoolboy, 12, in back of her car'
- Images recovered 100 years later show German soldiers during WWI
- X-rated video of the late Johnny Carson and a dark-haired woman being shopped around to private collectors after Carson estate threatens to sue
- Twin sisters Lucy and Anna DeCinque pay £130k to make them look more similar
- All out of dough: Sbarro Pizza files for bankruptcy for the second time in three years after struggling with dept and low consumer traffic in shopping malls
- 'God looked out for me': Millionaire owner of Oheka Castle speaks out for the first time after being shot through the eye by masked 'hit man'
- Caitlyn Virts reunited with twin sister after being kidnapped by father
- Werewolf enthusiast, 44, 'groomed teenage girls to join his slayer covenant'
- Belle Knox's Army doctor father returns from Afghanistan to find daughter is Duke porn star
- Rare Jules Verne book signed by Nasa 'stars' sells for £1,600
- Boston University women's basketball coach 'bullied the players so badly that multiple women quit and sought mental health treatment'
- Britain is sued by 14 Caribbean nations for the 'damage' it did through slavery, even though country was first in the world to abolish the trade
- Saajid Badat to testify at New York trial of bin Laden spokesman Sulaiman Abu Ghaith
- Man serving life in jail for killing seven wins $500,000 in lawsuit after guard punched him